welcome

welcome

sabato 17 settembre 2011

Severn Suzuki's speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngboj54GT8I&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL1EE2D384D30B48D1

Hello, I'm Severn Suzuki speaking for E.C.O. - The Environmental Childrens Organisation.
We are a group of twelve and thirteen-year-olds trying to make a difference: Vanessa Suttie, Morgan Geisler, Michelle Quigg and me.

We raised all the money ourselves to come five thousand miles to tell you adults you must change your ways. Coming here today, I have no hidden agenda. I am fighting for my future. Losing my future is not like losing an election or a few points on the stock market. I am here to speak for all generations to come.
I am here to speak on behalf of the starving children around the world whose cries go unheard.
I am here to speak for the countless animals dying across this planet because they have nowhere left to go.
I am afraid to go out in the sun now because of the holes in the ozone. I am afraid to breathe the air because I don't know what chemicals are in it.
And now we hear about animals and plants going extinct every day — vanishing forever.
In my life, I have dreamt of seeing the great herds of wild animals, jungles and rainforests full of birds and butterflies, but now I wonder if they will even exist for my children to see.
Did you have to worry about these little things when you were my age?



All this is happening before our eyes and yet we act as if we have all the time we want and all the solutions. I'm only a child and I don't have all the solutions, but I want you to realise, neither do you!
1. You don't know how to fix the holes in our ozone layer
2. You don't know how to bring salmon back up a dead stream
3. You don't know how to bring back an animal now extinct
4. And you can't bring back forests that once grew where there is now desert
If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it!
Here, you may be delegates of your governments, business people, organisers, reporters or politicians - but really you are mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, aunts and uncles - and all of you are somebodys child.
I'm only a child yet I know we are all part of a family, five billion strong, in fact, 30 million species strong.
I'm only a child yet I know we are all in this together and should act as one single world towards one single goal.
In my anger, I am not blind, and in my fear, I am not afraid to tell the world how I feel.
In my country, we make so much waste, we buy and throw away, buy and throw away, and yet northern countries will not share with the needy. Even when we have more than enough, we are afraid to share, we are afraid to let go some of our wealth
And this is what one child told us: I wish I was rich and if I were, I would give all the street children food, clothes, medicine, shelter and love and affection.
If a child on the street who has nothing, is willing to share, why are we who have everything still so greedy?
I can't stop thinking that these children are my age, that it makes a tremendous difference where you are born, that I could be one of those children living in the Favellas of Rio; I could be a child starving in Somalia; a victim of war in the Middle East or a beggar in India.
I'm only a child yet I know if all the money spent on war was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers, what a wonderful place this earth would be!
At school, even in kindergarten, you teach us to behave in the world. You teach us:
1. not to fight with others,
2. to work things out,
3. to respect others,
4. to clean up our mess,
5. not to hurt other creatures,
6. to share - not be greedy.
Then why do you go out and do the things you tell us not to do?
Do not forget why you're attending these conferences, who you're doing this for — we are your own children. You are deciding what kind of world we will grow up in. Parents should be able to comfort their children by saying everythings going to be alright, its not the end of the world and were doing the best we can.
But I don't think you can say that to us anymore. Are we even on your list of priorities? My father always says You are what you do, not what you say.
Well, what you do makes me cry at night. You grown ups say you love us. I challenge you; please make your actions reflect your words.


Write your comment

21 commenti:

  1. I agree fully with severn infact the protection of our planet is to be a pleasure not an obligation

    RispondiElimina
  2. I agree with her infact today nobody think that there is poverty in the world!
    We often think only ourselves

    RispondiElimina
  3. Even if I agree with Severn I think that it's very, very difficult to persuade people to do such simple things like "to respect others".
    Just because I like quote :D i re-write this "If you dont know how to fix it, please stop breaking it!". When i read/listened this phrase I made a little smile, because humans are humans and nothing can changes them. Call me pessimist, but I am only realistic. Bye.

    RispondiElimina
  4. I totally agree with this speech: I also want to add that governments should be more clear and don't be "selfish": did you know, for example, that in Fukushima there is still a very high level of radioactivity, even higher than the Cernobyl's one? Broadcasts aren't talking anymore about it. And too when the accident appened TVs tried to minimize the problem because of the imminent referendum.

    RispondiElimina
  5. I think the same thing but it is definitely difficult to get all of this because those who are in a favorable position don't want lose their position.

    RispondiElimina
  6. I absolutely agree with her but I think that nowadays is very difficult change this fact because everybody looking for the happiness without thinking of the other's conditions.But I'd like a world in which everybody feel good!
    Bye Prof:D

    RispondiElimina
  7. It's sad but I have to agree with Simone (Mondofalso) In fact the quote "If you dont know how to fix it, please stop breaking it!" has a big problem: people of the world don't know how to fix it, but they can't live without breaking it!!! Then, I think, the problem is not the problem...but our attitude in front of it!!!

    RispondiElimina
  8. I thing that the pessimism must die, ALIVE OPTIMISM! We change a world! We are working for a best world, for our kind!
    xxx

    RispondiElimina
  9. I'm amazed that a 12 years old child can says to tens of adults these thing, but I must say that what she says are dreams, it's not in the human nature behave peacefully and share things...

    RispondiElimina
  10. i completely agree with Severn, but is disconcerting that a young girl manage to silence the representatives of all the states in the world.

    RispondiElimina
  11. Severn is right, of course. But the men will never change and finding a solution it's very hard especially nowadays with this people's mind.

    RispondiElimina
  12. It's the second time I see this video, and for the second time again ,looking it, I thought that the man will never change... We are so addicted to the wealth and power that we aren't aware of the horrible things we do to reach them.
    I agree with Severn, but, how we could see, the tings haven't changed in 19 years... Because adults (not you prof xD)who already have someting, only think of the things that make themself happy, leaving out the tings that really matter. I hope I never became like them ehen I grow up.

    RispondiElimina
  13. I totally agree with Severn but , for me she's still young to understand the adults' problems but is also true that people today can't understand what will happen if we don't do anything right now.

    RispondiElimina
  14. Yes! We are the future and we have to change our habits. We'll surely live better:D

    RispondiElimina
  15. I think that what Severn said is alright but I also think we can't change the world until people follow certain ways of thinking. We live in a society where people try to get rich at the expense of others. How can we change this?
    Adults don't care that while they are having a comfortable life there's people who die for lack of food or water in the world. Adults don't realise that having all the comforts in their life is destroying our planet day after day. I think it will be really hard to change people minds.

    RispondiElimina
  16. I agree with severn but the world will never change if people don't change mentality

    RispondiElimina
  17. I think that people will hardly change their minds, but if everyone trys to avoid his own mistakes, the world will be better.

    RispondiElimina
  18. I fully agree with seven, although we must admit that the world will never change, because in the twenty-first century there are still people, especially children who die of hunger and people who are serving as king

    RispondiElimina
  19. Even if she was only a child, she understood how things go better than most adults do right now. She is right but, unfortunately, politicians think only in economic terms, while common people are too busy and blinded by their routine to have the time to find a solution to each problem she mentioned. Everybody should care more about the state of the Earth, because our future depends on it, so we should start to discuss more about environmental problems until we will find a way of living a bit less comfortable but that doesn’t damage the environment.

    RispondiElimina
  20. I totally agree with Severn because it is very important to protect our world. Now I think with recycle, solar energy, wind energy, new rules on pollution and hunting ecc.... we can save our planet from destruction

    RispondiElimina